Windows Phones starting to receive support for Twitter images in Pictures Hub

The "What's New" feed in Windows Phone Mango's Picture Hub has done a great job offering thumbnail images for Facebook and Windows Live messages, but for some reason lovers of Twitter pictures have been shunned, with only a link to the image being provided. Not the worst thing on the planet, of course, but certainly it's been a minor thorn in the side of frequent users of the social networking service. Reports are beginning to come in, however, that this is all changing now -- it looks as though quite a few photos originating from Twitter are now showing up, which may be an indicator of some fix-it work going on behind the scenes.

Windows Phones starting to receive support for Twitter images in Pictures Hub originally appeared on Engadget on Tue, 06 Dec 2011 02:48:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink   |  sourcePocketnow  | Email this | Comments

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/06/windows-phones-starting-to-receive-support-for-twitter-images-in/

old navy cyber monday best deals cyber monday best deals brownback brownback salvia cybermonday deals

Wall Street jumps on euro summit hope (Reuters)

NEW YORK (Reuters) ? Stocks rose at the open on Monday, building on the previous week's gains, as optimism grew that an upcoming European Union summit would break new ground to resolve the euro zone debt crisis.

The Dow Jones industrial average (.DJI) was up 107.77 points, or 0.90 percent, at 12,127.19. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index (.SPX) was up 14.66 points, or 1.18 percent, at 1,258.94. The Nasdaq Composite Index (.IXIC) was up 32.96 points, or 1.25 percent, at 2,659.89.

Source: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/business/*http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20111205/bs_nm/us_markets_stocks

velasquez vs dos santos manny pacquiao vs. juan manuel marquez manny pacquiao vs. juan manuel marquez cain velasquez vs dos santos cain velasquez vs dos santos oregon stanford oregon stanford

Beckham visits abused kids in Manila

David Beckham

By OLIVER TEVES

updated 7:44 a.m. ET Dec. 2, 2011

MANILA, Philippines - Away from fans' prying eyes, David Beckham took time out from soccer to share his experiences and listen to Filipino children struggling to rebuild their broken lives.

"It's so important to have a dream," Beckham told the former street children Friday at a UNICEF-supported shelter in a suburb of Manila, the Philippine capital where he and his teammates from the Los Angeles Galaxy are playing an exhibition against the country's national team this weekend.

On the sidelines of the Galaxy's Manila trip, Beckham, who is also a UNICEF goodwill ambassador, visited the shelter for children who have been rescued from the streets. They shared tales of domestic abuse and crime ? some fell victim to drugs or were abandoned by their parents.

Wearing a black UNICEF T-shirt, the 36-year-old former England captain listened intently in a private conversation with a group of five children and told them how he started playing when he was 7 years old and eventually achieving his dream of playing for Manchester United.

UNICEF asked that the names of the children and the shelter not be disclosed to protect their privacy.

Conan, a 17-year-old who was abandoned by his parents when he was 7, told Beckham that he dreams of joining the Philippine team and later becoming a coach.

He played in the Street Children's Football World Cup last year in South Africa, where the Philippines beat South Africa 2-1.

The younger children were awe-struck while listening to one of the world's best known athletes.

One 12-year-old girl named Shaina said she wants to be a nurse to help the sick. She often held Beckham's hand as she and the other children guided him around the facility, unfazed by the tattoos that adorn his arms.

Beckham told the UNICEF staff it was incredible that the children had gone through "so much in such a short space of time in their young lives" and learned responsibility and respect.

He said he was lucky to have had the support of both his parents and it was "so sad to see so many children that don't have that support, don't have that love."

He later listened to JM, a former drug user who turned 18 on Friday, sing a rap song in the Filipino language on how drugs ruin lives. After a staff translated the song for Beckham, he gave him a double thumbs up, saying, "You're good!"

The shelter that houses 136 kids has a small soccer field surrounded by separate cottages for boys and girls, a school, a basketball court and a training facility where children learn to sew clothes and cut hair.

Beckham posed with the children for a picture wearing a blue graduation gown and cap made at the sewing room, where he also tried his hand at making a pillow case.

"What struck me the most about coming into the center was it was a real happy place, a real inspiring place," he told The Associated Press. "They are teaching kids unbelievable values. Every child I spoke to today ? they all have dreams, they all have inspirations."

A father of four children, Beckham said it was "heartbreaking to think majority of these children haven't got parents, or haven't got parents to care for them and love them."

Beckham said that because of work, it's been difficult for him "to do some of the things I would like to do ? going out into the field like I obviously have today."

"I think it is important to raise awareness to many issues around the world, many worries around the world," he said. "In my position, thankfully, I can create that kind of interest and awareness to things that are happening around the world."

A highlight of his visit was a brief practice followed by a short game in which he joined one half of the shelter's team.

The star sweated under the midday sun as he helped their shoeless goalkeeper. His side lost 1-0.

___

Online:

www.unicef.ph

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


advertisement

More news
Man City routs Norwich

Euro roundup: Unbeaten leader Manchester City turned on the attacking style to maintain its stunning start to the season, thrashing Norwich 5-1 as the Premier League's title-chasers went goal crazy on Saturday.

Season set

Major League Soccer's 2012 season will open March 10 with six games.

Source: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/45522068/ns/sports-soccer/

weather phoenix dippin dots triumph the insult comic dog tucson weather tucson weather peyton hillis cl p

Ask Engadget: best network media player / streamer?

We know you've got questions, and if you're brave enough to ask the world for answers, here's the outlet to do so. This week's Ask Engadget inquiry is coming to us from Mark, who needs the stream, If you're looking to send in an inquiry of your own, drop us a line at ask [at] engadget [dawt] com.

"I'm tearing my hair out trying to find networked media players that meet my needs for under $200. I want to be able to stream Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video and play music from Slacker -- I'm not interested in Pandora. I'm struggling to find anything that works with Slacker. In addition, I want to be able to stream MP3's from a Windows 7 Ultimate machine on my network -- preferably wirelessly, but wired is possible. The killer though is that I have a large number of video files in MKV, MP4, M4V, WMV, AVI and DVD ISO. Any ideas? I got nothing from Aardvark before Google shuttered it."

Listen up, streamers -- take a five minute break from whatever Netflix marathon you're on now and help a brother out, won't you?

Ask Engadget: best network media player / streamer? originally appeared on Engadget on Sat, 03 Dec 2011 23:15:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink   |   | Email this | Comments


Source: http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/z9tUZ3NBiYY/

fsu football fsu football do a barrelroll bérénice marlohe bérénice marlohe google offers tim gunn

Same Sex Romance Comes to a Galaxy Far, Far Away (Newsarama.com)

Same-sex relationships are coming to the "Star Wars" universe, courtesy of video game developer BioWare and publisher Electronic Arts' new massively multiplayer online role- playing game (or "MMORPGs" or "MMOs" for short), "Star Wars: The Old Republic," and the decision is getting people talking.

MMOs are games that create immersive virtual environments in which millions of players can interact with computer-generated characters as well as characters created by fellow gamers. While this is BioWare's first MMO, the developer is known among fans for the emphasis they place on romantic relationships between characters in their single-player role-playing games. In the past, BioWare games have featured same-sex relationships between men and women, and in the case of the immensely popular sci-fi game "Mass Effect," relationships between men and women with an asexual alien.

BioWare originally announced that players and their companions in "Star Wars: The Old Republic" would only be able to experience mixed-gender romantic relationships. After many inquiries from fans asking the developer to explain the decision, earlier this week a new forum post by Stephen Reid, the senior online community manager for the game, showed up on the company's official website announcing that those fans had been heard and same-sex romance will be added to the game.

BioWare's statement explained that while the game will still launch with only male/female relationships, they will be adding same gender romance options in future updates.

"Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in 'Star Wars: The Old Republic' will be a post-launch feature. Because 'The Old Republic' is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options."

"Companion characters" are computer-controlled characters that follow player-created characters around the virtual world, aiding them as gamers maneuver through the story.

The response to BioWare's announcement has been massive. There are 326 pages of comments as of Friday afternoon on the official "Star Wars: The Old Republic" forum alone. They range from "thank you for listening to our requests" to "how dare you expose my children to this."

The game has no firm release date, only a release window of "holiday 2011." It has also already received an ESRB rating of "T for Teen," meaning the game is recommended for players 13 and older. Neither facts have stopped detractors from crying foul, such as John Nolte on the blog "Big Hollywood," who starts his post on the subject with "Say goodbye to your child's innocence," and ends with the inaccurate proclamation, "Announcing the gay relationships AFTER the game has been sold is pure bait and switch."

The game already has reportedly broken preorder records for publisher Electronic Arts.

Got a comment? There's lots of conversation on Newsarama's FACEBOOK and TWITTER!

Related Stories:

Newsarama.com is the go-to source for the latest comic book and genre entertainment news, reviews and commentary. Newsarama's passionate audience contributes to lively discussions ranging from classic and new comics to movies, TV, manga, anime and more. Watch previews, interviews and more on our video player, sneak peeks of new comics on our Comic Book Viewer and sign up for our RSS feeds. And be sure to join our community so you can voice your opinion on our articles and in our lively forums.

Source: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/videogames/*http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/newsarama/20111203/en_newsarama/samesexromancecomestoagalaxyfarfaraway

hunger games trailer hunger games trailer gabrielle giffords austin rivers austin rivers ows kindle fire review

Docs: Top officials sent Fast and Furious false denials (Politico)

False denials the Justice Department sent to Congress about the Fast and Furious gunrunning investigation came from top officials at the U.S. Attorney?s Office in Arizona and at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives, documents released Friday by the Obama administration show.

The 1,364 pages of documents and emails turned over to Congressional investigators detail the Justice Department?s robust internal deliberations leading up to a February 4, 2011 letter in which the department assured the top Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, Chuck Grassley of Iowa, that claims a whistleblower was making about the Fast and Furious investigation were false.

Continue Reading

?ATF makes every effort to interdict weapons that were purchased illegally and prevent their transportation to Mexico,? the February letter from Justice Department legislative affairs chief Ron Weich to Grassley said. The letter also asserted that an ?allegation?.that ATF ?sanctioned? or otherwise knowingly allowed the sale of assault weapons to a straw purchaser who then transported them into Mexico ? is false.?

The second denial related to startling, emerging claims that weapons ATF lost control of in the Fast and Furious operation wound up at the scene of the killing of a U.S. Border Patrol agent, Brian Terry, in Arizona last December.

Terry?s death has fueled much of the public controversy over and Congressional interest in Fast and Furious, which investigators say allowed as many as 1200 weapons to make their way from the U.S. across the border to Mexican drug cartels.

The operation, which Attorney General Eric Holder has called ?flawed in concept, as well as in execution,? has prompted investigations by three Congressional committees and has led to calls from more than 50 Republican members of Congress for Holder?s resignation. The Friday afternoon document dump came in advance of a House Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing next Thursday where Holder is expected to face extensive and intense questioning.

Holder has contended that the operation violated Justice Department policy, but that he was unaware until the controversy erupted earlier this year that Fast and Furious had used the controversial technique of ?gunwalking.?

?The tactic of allowing guns to ?walk,? as was permitted in Operation Fast and Furious, is completely unacceptable,? Holder said in a letter last month expressing his sorrow to Terry?s family.

Top Justice Department officials, including Holder, have acknowledged in Congressional testimony in recent months that the February letter was wrong in some respects. In a letter to Congress on Friday, Deputy Attorney General James Cole formally withdrew the February response and sought to explain the misstatements ? to a degree.

?Facts have come to light during the course of this investigation that indicate the February 4 letter contains inaccuracies,? Cole wrote. ?Department personnel?relied on information provided by supervisors from the components in the best position to know the relevant facts: ATF and the U.S. Attorney?s Office in Arizona?Information provided by those supervisors was inaccurate. We understand that, in transcribed interviews with congressional investigators, the supervisors have said that they did not know at the time the letter was drafted that information they provided was inaccurate.?

Source: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/politics/*http%3A//us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/external/politico_rss/rss_politico_mostpop/http___www_politico_com_news_stories1211_69680_html/43790792/SIG=11m5ct87b/*http%3A//www.politico.com/news/stories/1211/69680.html

mark kelly jeff goldblum uc berkeley ohio state basketball annie annie zuccotti park